Every adventuring soul needs a good watch that will keep track of time and date, as well as your location – whether it be at sea or on land.
A good GMT watch is an essential item for anyone who wants to explore the world and see its wonders.
So, in this buyer’s guide, we’re going to cover some of the best out there from a whole range of names in this high-end business.
Tudor Black GMT
When it comes to a watch with history and prestige under its belt, the Tudor Black line of watches is certainly a name that any watch aficionado should be aware of.
A bold tribute to the brand’s heritage and an expression of modern design, the new Black Bay GMT continues the tradition of timeless dive watches by adding a touch of color and making it even easier to tell time underwater.
The Black Bay GMT is powered by a reliable automatic Swiss ETA 2892-2 caliber, which has been specially designed for the watchmaking industry.
Its robust construction ensures accuracy and precision, while a chronograph function offers precise timing and stopwatch capabilities. The watch is water-resistant up to 200m/660ft.
Designed to withstand the rigors of the ocean depths, the Black Bay GMT is built from hardened stainless steel, including the case back cover.
It also boasts a scratch-resistant mineral glass crystal and an anti-reflective coating on both sides of the sapphire crystal lens.
- Custom-built power plant – Having fully adjustable hands for the watch face is a great addition to allow you to make manual adjustments if necessary.
- Beautiful body – Not only is the retro-styling a beautiful piece of craftsmanship for the body of this watch but is also very damage resistant, as well as being easy to hold, move, and adjust thanks to its ridge, coin-edged like design.
- A little big for smaller wrists – You may need to find some way to adjust this pristine timekeeping tool for your wrists, as it is a little too big for those of us with thinner wrists.
The Tudor Heritage Black Bay GMT is an excellent dive watch that is extremely comfortable to wear.
The stainless steel case is tough enough to take abuse when underwater, yet it feels light and not too bulky. The overall design is simple and elegant while remaining functional.
Our biggest concern about the watch was that the lume on the dial wasn’t always the most readable, with it only covering what the manufacturer considered vital, as opposed to illuminating the whole diameter of the watch.
Citizen Promaster GMT
If you’re looking for a watch that is perfect for a person who loves being outdoors, then Citizen has your needs covered with their Promaster series of watches.
Promaster GMT is the latest addition to the Promaster family of watches. It brings a new level of sophistication to the line. It offers an elegant, sporty design with a high-quality feel.
It is water-resistant up to 100 meters / 330 feet. A dive watch must withstand the harsh conditions of diving, after all, and that’s certainly the case with this amazing watch’s body.
It is equipped with eco-drive technology to ensure 24-hour power reserve. It comes in a variety of different colors and materials to suit everyone’s taste.
All Citizen watches also come with shock resistance, magnetic resistance, and dual-time functions. These features ensure the wearer remains protected even if he/she is exposed to extreme environments.
To enhance visibility, the hands and markers are made using luminescent material too. No worrying about scrambling around in the dark with this watch!
- Rugged design built for all terrains – Whether that’s in the great outdoors, or under hundreds of feet of crushing water. This watch can take them all on!
- Good-looking watch – Not only is this a tough piece of time-keeping kit, but it looks great too! Whether it is in an open field, or a black-tie event, this watch is perfect for both worlds!
- Location time adjustments not as they appear? – You may have to manually adjust the time for your watch to your location, which might feel a little too manual for many people’s tastes, especially when this watch is supposed to keep track of local times for you.
A worthwhile buy for an adventurous soul. If you like to travel around the world and don’t want to have to worry about your watch breaking down on you, it’s a great choice.
This watch is easy to read in bright light and dark conditions. It has a nice size which fits comfortably on my wrist.
You can use it every day without worrying about whatever activity you are doing being too much for it, and it looks good whilst doing it, too.
A great model that is made in the United States, we would recommend this to anyone looking for a decent quality watch. The perfect GMT watch for going outdoors!
Baltic Aquascaphe GMT
The Aquascaphe GMT is the ultimate luxury watch designed for those looking for something different from traditional mechanical watches.
The Aquascaphe GMT offers a unique combination of modern design and Swiss precision engineering. It features a stainless steel case, durable mineral glass crystal, and a scratch-resistant sapphire crystal lens.
Its sleek appearance and classic design make it the ideal gift for anyone who appreciates fine craftsmanship.
The Aquascaphe has a double domed sapphire crystal lens and the dial is made using bright white luminova, making it suitable for all types of light conditions.
This means that you will always see the time clearly and easily.
The Aquascaphe GMT is also water-resistant up to 100 meters, so don’t worry about getting this pristine watch wet!
It comes with a black rubber strap and a silver crown, making it even more comfortable on the wrist whilst you wear it to any kind of event, whether it is outdoors, or when mingling with high society.
- Light on the wrist – The strap and lightweight design mean that you won’t notice anything dragging you down as you do your day-to-day activities with this watch, whether it is a rubber or fabric strap, or even with the metallic rice bracelet design!
- Clear design philosophy – Clarity is the name of the game with this watch face. From the double-domed sapphire glass to the well-design, glossy finish of the watch’s face, this is a very easy watch to read and use in everyday activities
- Less-Water resistant? – Whilst the watch’s waterproof qualities are welcome, the fact that it doesn’t seem to be as resistant to deeper depths and pressures as other watches might turn someone with a more active lifestyle to look elsewhere.
We didn’t know what to expect when it came to looking at this watch. We had seen some other watches from Baltic before, and they were always very pleasant-looking pieces. But when we got our hands on it, we were blown away!
We loved the look of the case as well as the bracelet. Whilst the fabric strap might seem like a downgrade from stainless steel and other metallic options at first, it sits very nicely on your wrist, and it’s arguably better too!
Rolex GMT Master II Ceramic 126710 ‘Pepsi’
From the makers of some of the most prestigious products in an already crowded market of high-quality watches, Rolex’s Master II Ceramic, their update to their classic Master GMT watch, more than meets the high marks that this renowned company is known for.
If you love Rolex watches, and you can find this model out there, then this is the watch for you.
While many people associate these watches with wealth and power, the truth is that they’re much more versatile than that.
They’re durable enough to withstand rough usage, and they’re classy enough to wear every day.
That’s why, since its inception in 1955, the GMT-Master has been a favorite among professional divers, pilots, explorers, and other adventurers.
As the Rolex brand evolves, so does the GMT-Master.
- Excellent watch bracelet design – The oyster lock folding clasp, a change-up from the previous design, whilst looking very similar, also allows for extra adjustability for different wrist sizes.
- Beautiful watch casing design – The casing that the watch face and clock is housed in isn’t just beautiful on first viewing. But thanks to the materials used in the red plating, you can watch as this model’s faceplate ages from a strong red, to a soft pink.
- Increasing value over time – Such a large investment will only pay off in the long term, as this watch increases in value thanks to its rarity.
- A rare find – There are very few of these models of watch out there for you to purchase. And because of its rarity, even if you do find it, you will also find that it is outside the normal price range for these types of exquisite pieces of engineering.
Just look at this watch! It is stunning! Its elegant design and quality make it a perfect gift for any man.
The Rolex GMT Master II has to be one of the most iconic watches ever made. The size of the watch is just right for pretty much every size of wrist.
The dial is extremely legible. The hands are nice and big, and the markers are bright enough to read easily while driving.
The design of the watch is timeless and elegant. The stainless steel bracelet is adjustable, and the clasp is secure.
The Rolex GMT Master is an absolute classic, and if you find yourself in a position where you can get one of these world-class watches, we would highly recommend it!
Luminox Bear Grylls Survival Air Series
Approved by the acclaimed survivalist himself, Luminox’s Survival Air series is one of those GMT watches that you know is built for someone who isn’t afraid to tackle the great outdoors head-on.
A great watch for every man who likes adventure, nature, and outdoor activities.
Luminox 3761 Bear Grylls survival air series watch is made from tough, durable material and has been designed to withstand harsh conditions.
The watch is packed with advanced technology and features such as a scratch-resistant sapphire lens, a scratch-resistant mineral glass window, and a military-grade shock-resistant mechanism.
Luminox 3761 watch is suitable for all types of adventures including hiking, camping, fishing, hunting, climbing, diving, snorkeling, sailing, rafting, kayaking, skiing, snowboarding, and many other adventurous sports.
Luminox 3761 bear Grylls survival air series watch offers the ultimate combination of style and functionality and is a true statement piece for those who live life on their terms.
- Great rugged design that is ready for outdoor activity – Made from high-quality stainless steel metal, offers 660 feet of water resistance, and has a bi-directional rotating bezel.
- This is a watch built to handle anything the wilderness throws at it. It certainly earns its Bear Grylls title from these features!
- Built to last – From having up to 25 years of lume glow in pretty much any level of light, and a battery life of up to 50 months, this isn’t just a watch built for the here and now, but an investment for years to come!
- Watch strap of worse quality – Whilst the watch itself is more than ready to take the plunge underwater, the same cannot be said for the watch strap that comes as standard. Unless you can find a custom rubber strap that adapts better for being in the water, be prepared to spend a long time drying the strap out every time it comes into contact with water.
Luminox watches might not be a household name in the same way that Rolex and Tudor are, but it certainly stands up to the best of them when it comes to outright quality.
We liked the style and functionality of this particular model. It has plenty of useful features that are perfect for outdoor use too.
We would highly recommend this GMT watch to anyone looking for a good value, waterproof dive watch. It’ll look and work great for pretty much anybody!
Glycine Airman DC GMT
Makers of the first-ever clock to be able to track more than one timezone, Glycine has always been ahead of the curve when it comes to watchmaking, especially the GMT variety.
Now, with this true GMT watch, the Airman DC4, their pedigree shows through here!
If you are looking for a classic timepiece that looks great and is built to last, then Glycine has got you covered.
This watch is a true statement piece that will look just as good as it does now in 20 years’ time.
It comes with a stainless steel band that is adjustable, so you can wear it however you prefer. The dial is black and the hands are white.
It has a date window at 3 o’clock and a power reserve indicator at 9 o’clock. The movement is automatic and features a self-winding mechanism. It is water-resistant up to 100 meters too!
- Well-built watch model – This is a watch that is built to stand up to any condition, with both a hundred meters of water-diving resistance and a stainless steel silver case. This is a watch that was built for extreme conditions. If pilots were the original users, it’s a little wonder!
- A timeless design – With a basic design from the 1950s, this is a watch that has aged well by modern standards. No need for electrical components, this is a beautiful-looking piece of engineering that is perfect for any situation.
- A busy clock face – You can tell that this clock face was first designed for pilots! Whilst it is one of the first watches to be able to register two different time zones is impressive, the busy clock face makes it a little difficult to tell what you’re looking at sometimes. This isn’t a deal-breaker, but if you like a clear image of what time it is and all the information that comes with it, you may want to look elsewhere.
Most people hear about this watch, which is a vintage model at this point, through word of mouth and its reputation. And that reputation is certainly earned!
The stainless steel body is simple yet elegant, and the black dial adds some contrast to the metal, which helps for readability, even if the watch faceplate is a little crowded
The strap is also great; it is made of leather, which is soft and supple, and it looks nice and feels comfortable too. Anyone would be lucky to receive this watch as a gift!
Whilst you are deciding on the perfect GMT watch that you want to buy, either as a gift to yourself or someone you love, here are a few things you might want to keep in mind:
Mechanical Vs Quartz Design
This is a big debate amongst watch enthusiasts, and whilst most would say that quartz watches are better, there are still many reasons why mechanical watches are the way to go.
Here are our top 2 reasons why you should consider buying a mechanical watch:
Quartz batteries have a limited life span, and they do not offer the same level of durability as mechanical movements.
Mechanical watches tend to be more robust than their quartz counterparts, and they will last longer.
They are also far less likely to break down due to age because they don’t rely on an internal battery to work.
While quartz watches are generally considered to be more accurate than mechanical ones, they are not always the best option when it comes to precision over time.
This is mainly because quartz watches use electronic parts which can degrade, meaning that the accuracy of these watches is not always reliable.
Mechanical watches, however, are often much more precise than their quartz siblings.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is A GMT Watch?
A GMT watch has a little variation in the type of GMT movement that is produced. In general, a GMT watch follows the standard 12-hour clock format and the 24-hour clock format.
At the center, there is the traditional hour, minute, and second hand, along with a GMT hand that rotates the dial once every 24 hours instead of twice.
Most GMT watches also come with external bezels that display a 24-hour scale, allowing for the tracking of up to three time zones.
A GMT is a type of watch that keeps the same time around the world.
It uses the 24-hour clock instead of a 12-hour clock. This means that if you set your alarm for 7 am, then when you wake up, the time will be 7 am no matter where you went to sleep.
This is useful because you can sleep anywhere in the world without having to make adjustments for yourself, so it is ideal for traveling.
Are GMT Watches Suited For Certain Individuals?
On the subject of adventurous souls, GMT watches are ideal for the sort of people that find themselves traveling a lot or adventuring in general.
These types of individuals are usually very active, and they like to take part in activities such as rock climbing, skydiving, skiing, hiking, etc.
These are just a few of the GMT watches you can find out there. There are so many other options available, and each of them offers something different to those who are searching for the perfect GMT watch.
So, take your time and think about what you are looking for before you make your final decision.
1 thought on “Best GMT Watches”
You are so awesome! I don’t believe I’ve truly read a single thing like this before. So wonderful to find somebody with unique thoughts on this subject. Seriously.. many thanks for starting this up. This web site is something that is required on the web, someone with some originality!